As long as there are people who make the world a better place, we’ll keep making a difference for them. Since 1918, it has been TIAA’s mission to serve those who serve others. It is this mission and the values we embrace that make us a different kind of financial services organization.
When you work here at TIAA, you’re not just in it for yourself. You are part of something bigger. A collective mission to make a difference – a collective mission we make our own.
To be difference makers.
For more information about TIAA, visit our website.
TIAA’s Individual Advisory Services Business offers highly sophisticated financial planning capabilities designed to help our clients accomplish their immediate and long term investment goals. The Individual Advisory Services Business launched in 2005 and aligns with the core values that made TIAA successful in the not-for-profit sector since 1918. As a result, we know our Wealth Management clients better than anyone else in the academic, medical, cultural and research environments. Today TIAA serves 5 million individuals overall, $866 Billion in Assets Under Management. We employ over 10,000 employees across 100+ local offices.
As we expand our IAS Business to meet client demand for our products and services, we take pride in building a remarkable group of talented advisors who thrive on a consultative client approach and team collegiality.
As a Director of Wealth Management you will have the opportunity to lead a team of TIAA Wealth Management Advisors in our Pittsburgh and West Virginia offices (Morgantown & Charleston). Successful Directors at TIAA work closely with their team to understand the underlying client’s unique financial objectives through one-on-one advice as well as leveraging our collaborative environment to deliver the most appropriate products and services. These products and services include Managed Accounts, Private Asset Management Services, Retirement Plans, a family of no-load Mutual Funds, Life Insurance, Personal Trust and Asset Management Services, IRAs, After-Tax Annuities, Brokerage Service and Education Savings plans.
As a Director, you will have the opportunity to lead a team delivering a distinctive client experience that leverages our unique value proposition. A few ways our leadership and advisory team operates as one team:
- We utilize a consultative, needs-based approach to financial planning and advice.
- We operate in a collaborative, team based environment. Advisors may also leverage our in-house Tax/Trust Estate Planning/Retirement/Investment experts, and utilize our local and regional operational professionals.
- We prepare our Advisors for success with comprehensive training and tools. This includes a training program, mentorship program, peer coaching support, and ongoing education on investments, wealth management, new financial tools and company products.
- We reward our employees for taking care of our clients. Our competitive compensation package includes an annual base salary, a variable bonus opportunity that rewards client service excellence rather than product promotion, and excellent benefits such as a Retirement Plan and 401k match, health/life insurance, education reimbursements. Relocation benefits may be available for specific geographic opportunities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Responsible for the oversight and management of an assigned group of TIAA Wealth Management Advisors. This includes compliance and the principal review of the Advisors’ recommendations.
- Hire, coach and motivate a team of Wealth Management Advisors to achieve and exceed the territories’ client service benchmarks and sales goals.
- Ensure Advisors are utilizing TIAA’s broad range of resources, including estate planning, portfolio management and insurance planning.
- Evaluate and assign Advisors appropriate books of clients.
- As needed assist Advisors in reviewing planning and advice cases for complex client accounts.
- Assist the Wealth Management Regional Vice President in charting strategy and direction for the territory Develop and maintain a good understanding of TIAA’s competitors within the territory.
- Some local and regional travel may be required.
- Minimum of 5 years in a Wealth Management sales and leadership capacity, with demonstrated experience in in coaching, developing and recruiting top sales talent. Highly prefer 8-10+ years of Wealth Management experience, with strong preference to previous experience as an Advisor.
- Existing Series 7, 66 (or 63 and 65) and 24 and appropriate state life insurance licenses are highly preferred. Candidates without existing licensing may be eligible for sponsorship per licensing guidelines.
- Demonstrated superior sales and staff management experience that fosters a positive collaborative working environment.
- Proven track record generating sales and managing relationships with high net worth clients ($500k – $2M ), including broad technical skills in retirement products, general investment matters and applicable tax and estate planning issues.
- Proven track record in generating sales and managing relationships with high net worth clients, including broad technical skills in retirement products, general investment matters and applicable tax and estate planning issues.
- Demonstrated experience understanding a client’s unique financial situation, providing appropriate advice and solutions, and exhibiting financial leadership. Excellent interpersonal skills and client face-to-face relationship building skills.
- Expert knowledge of financial planning concepts including broad knowledge of TIAA-CREF’s products and services.
- Thorough knowledge of the retirement industry including ERISA regulations, compliance and regulatory matters.
- Solid time management and organizational skills are required.
- Must be able to understand TIAA’s overall strategy and approach while developing strategic plans and goals for the territory.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred and weighted.
- Industry designations such as Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), Chartered Mutual Fund Consultant (CMFC) are strongly preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
This organization is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer, dedicated to maintaining a work environment free of bias, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. As an EEO employer, this organization expressly prohibits discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of race, creed, ethnicity, color, age, religion, sex, sex stereotype, pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions where applicable), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, marital status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, requesting a reasonable accommodation based on mental or physical disability, medical condition (as defined by applicable law), genetic history and information, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance or regulation (collectively referred to here as ‘protected characteristics’).
*©2016 Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017